The Last Man Standing…

We’ve been blessed during this cold and flu season so far… Perhaps a sniffle here and there, but no overwhelming issues have come to stay, for which I’m extremely thankful. That is, about a week ago, when something hit me like a ton of bricks. Of course it happened the same day I had a physical and told my doc that I hadn’t had any sicknesses for a while. She praised me for being so healthy overall. Perhaps I picked something up at the office itself while in the waiting room…

Like a good mom, I tried my best to keep it from the kids, and it seemed to work for a while. Then, on Thursday afternoon, when the kids usually clean the living areas of the house in preparation for my class, I found Drewbie curled up on the couch, completely wrapped up in his blankets (or “kikis” as he calls them), and out like a light. When I felt his forehead he was hot to the touch. He went on to take a two hour nap, so when he woke up, I called his doc just to see if we could get in on Friday morning mainly to rule something out. By that time he had a deep, congested cough, and looked awful.

By the time I took him to the doc the next morning, Brendan was complaining about his head hurting. Oh, goody, I thought t o myself. We found out that Drewbie had a double ear infection but no wheezing or respiratory problems. When we returned home after that visit, I found Brendan laying on the floor under his desk, wrapped in his blankets and almost asleep. Two down….

While I was at Meijer picking up Andrew’s antibiotic, I also bought a thermometer. Can you believe we haven’t had one of those in the house for several years? Yes….along with allowing my children to ride their bikes without helmets, we also assess illness around here with a mere hand to the forehead. Really, there oughta be a law….oh wait…there probably already is….

The thermometer purchase turned out to be a worthy one, because upon my arrival home, I found out Brendan was sporting a 102.7 fever. He looked terrible. Andrew, on the other hand, though he was laying around, seemed to be on the upswing if only slightly. As I surveyed the rest of the herd, Chloe looked like she would be the next to fall, and sure enough, after her long afternoon nap, she woke up with a deep cough and a warm head. Good times.

Later in the evening it was Patrick’s turn to get in on the fun, and he tied Brendan for high temp at 102.7. He’s well on his way to being a good “sick guy” as he was absolutely pathetic—shaking and making noise like he would surely die at any instant. Even so, I couldn’t help but feel for the guy.

Everyone seemed to be sleeping well last night until Chloe came in our room around 5 presenting the same symptoms, only this time she was burning up. Our brand new trusty thermometer confirmed that she was running at 103.1. While I went to fetch her some Motrin, she was talking nonsensically to Todd, so we knew she was feeling the burn. After getting some meds, she almost immediately fell back to sleep, and although she’s still feverish this morning, it is better.

Hannah woke up with a scratchy throat and a slight fever, so who knows what will happen to her throughout the day. There are clean hands and home policies in place here, of course, but there is only so much hand sanitizer and other precautions one can take.

And now, Ben remains the last Tighe kid standing. I can hear a slight cough with him, but after his insistence of having his temperature taken (it’s a novelty to them too!), he was OK. I’m praying it stays that way. For now, we’re obviously going to lay low and try to recover. I’m way behind on my copyediting work that is due in a few short weeks. It’s a toss-up as to whether my house would be more likely to land an episode of Hoarders or Lives of the Anxious and Cluterred. The laundry basket is fill to beyond the brim again. And I’ve got kids sprawled on just about every horizontal surface in the house, convalescing. Somehow it will get all done, but with still recovering myself and feeling the run-down feeling that comes from my body apparently putting all its energy into making congestion, it’s been a slow week production-wise. We’re praying it passes quickly and just goes off to sea.

Until then, please pass the Mucinex.


1 Comment (+add yours?)

  1. Amy
    Feb 05, 2011 @ 17:05:51

    So happy to see that your humor has not seeped out your nose with the groody green stuff. (FYI: All bike riders must wear helmets in the Metroparks. I don’t know if it’s a law, but it’s a rule.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: